A digitized government – how advantageous would that be?


Governments are the living and breathing machines designed to run for the welfare of its citizens. The guarantee to serve and lift the wellness of those people depends on the smooth and unobstructed operation of a government agency. The more efficient its performance, the less troubled are its people.

As well-intentioned as it is, however, that machine’s operations are clogged up due to some unpleasant internal factors, and chief among them is its unavoidable paperwork. For an administration is regulated and controlled with papers as its centerpiece.

Nevertheless, governments have put much effort and considerations in managing paper documents and records. United States government itself, for example, has an independent agency National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) to preserve and document official and historical records. But questions emerge: how much data a federal government  can protect? How accurate and reliable is that classified information? The stakes are high – a failed process or a carelessly handled document capture compromises the state government’s integrity and damages its earned credibility.

The major bottleneck of effective data management in a federal office is the age-old practice of manual data capture. For instance, the human resource department may receive thousands of paper-based reports such as housing and social services, census, tax records, loss compensations, and community healthcare every day. Is it possible to capture and store all these high-velocity and crucial data in real-time if the public administration opts for manual data entry? It may take weeks before an officer could make out how to use the captured data, not to mention the loss of hundreds of work hours.

As the force of the digital revolution upends every area of global business, government agencies would do well to adopt a digital workforce in their paperwork, too. That’s where digitized data capture comes in. Instead of striving hard with manual data entry, Kaptiche smart document capture automates the data extraction process and assists government agents in unearthing their federal records buried within large paper documents digitally.  

This simplified process has broad implications. By saving time and massive human resources, Kaptiche, as in a chain reaction, sets off a series of beneficial edges. Gone are the times when people had to wait hours in queues to get their welfare documents processed. Automated document extraction is quick and reliable. Governments now can reduce their operational costs manifold, as they are not reliant on the human workforce to extract the documents.

Another intimidating threat for government agencies is undermined data security. To illustrate the point, for example, PwC's Global State of Information Security® Survey (GSISS) has found that only 39% of respondents are confident in their attribution capabilities. It is a startling revelation that the remaining 61% of developed enterprises are still unprepared for an unanticipated breach in its information security. Government agencies are not exempt from this growing problem either.

So how does Kaptiche resolve this? A typical agency suffers from documents mismanagement, the leak of confidential information, and misplaced or lost documents. All these issues are intrinsically connected with the same thread of non-digital static paper documents. Agents can employ stronger security measures by digitally capturing and archiving the information. But digital archival is the result of digitally converted data in the first place.

Kaptiche automatically pulls the agents’ E-mail attachments and extracts the critical data. Government agencies should, in turn, store the data in a repository for the quick retrieval of archived intelligence. This first step of data digitization is the prime contribution of Kaptiche’s smart document capture.

Kaptiche renders the extracted data searchable. With this single most significant support, document data capture has eliminated the painstaking process of manually searching through millions of paper documents to retrieve even a small bit of information. United States government enacted the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to disclose unreleased details upon request. If one has to draw a business license resource from a historical document, clerks have to rummage through databases and files. By allowing the same data electronically searchable, any information, no matter its period, will burst forth with a few keywords.

All said, automated document extraction creates a great knowledge reservoir and helps governments to reclaim their workplace efficiency like never before.

Schedule a demo today or Email us at marketing@kaptiche.com for more info on Kaptiche.